Summer is Calling.

Tuesday 25 June 2024


As I sit here with some sort of chest and throat infection I keep thinking about what I have to look forward to. Summer is here and that means brighter evenings sitting in the garden enjoying food and drink which always makes me happy. I'm slightly worried for the weather to get warmer, last time all my plants wilted and suffered horribly, we also had a water ban. This year however we have a water butt provided by the council that is full to the brim, my plants thrive off of rain water rather than the water from the hose. It also saves money when it comes to the water bill by using the water butt.


My sunflowers and pumpkins are growing fast, in terms of the pumpkin I need to come up with a plan on what to plant them in when they get too big because they can take over, I was thinking of getting one of those giant rubber laundry baskets that we used to buy from IKEA, they are deep and big enough to hold more than one plant and if I buy 2 that should be enough grow room for them. All my plants have been moved out of my mini greenhouse and some are now situated next to it, I'm hoping the sun doesn't burn them, there is a nice bit of shade in that corner which is a big help. I'm an amateur at growing plants still, I know i've been doing it on and off for years, I just have so much more to learn especially when it comes to zones in the gardening/crop world. As far as I know my location is zone 9 and because it is one of the most mildest parts of the UK we can also grow zone 10 plants.

I know what I'm talking about sounds very confusing, zones are basically hardiness zones for average annual minimum temperatures which determine the survival of plants. I's very important when it comes to farming and climate change is shifting the zones making it possible for plants that once would never grow in certain areas to throw. This can be both a good and bad thing as some plants can be very invasive and hard to get rid of.


I also decided to get myself a different kind of water feeding station for bees and see how they get on with it, it's different from the dishes I created over the years and holds less water. I've seen a couple use it so far which means I may as well buy more to scatter them around the garden. I really want to get back to the garden and sort bits out, I really wanted to go see the poppies in Polly Joke but I can't shift this chest and throat infection and I'm more breathless than ever (no it's not covid). My plants in the garden will have to do for now until I'm recovered. I have some more content planned, some to do with my fitness and health journey, I've now reached my main goal and surpassed my expectations! I hope summer treats you all well.



Don't forget to water your garden

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・ʚɞ ⁺˖    ˖⁺ ʚɞ

Comments