Sun, Sweat & Smiles

Tuesday, 18 August 2026


I don't know about any of you, but this heat has really got to me. Not just because I fried myself in the sea, but because the humidity is melting me. I've been slightly worried about my garden in the heat, if I'm honest. One year (I think I mentioned it on here) it got so hot that it killed off everything, including our grass in my garden, and I was devastated. This was due to a hosepipe ban, though, and once again we have one in place here. It's not surprising that summer has been this hot; winter was mild, which was out of the ordinary too.


I've been making the most of the sun in my garden. I think I planted my sunflowers slightly too late, though; they are growing faster than I expected at this point, so hopefully they will catch up in no time. My tomato plants have already started to grow tomatoes, and the blackberry bush I bought last year has loads of blackberries growing. We plan on using them to make apple and blackberry crumble. I have been keeping an eye on all my plants as best as I can so they don't suffer in the heat. My lavender loves it; it thrives off of being neglected, which I love. My climbing rose bush loves it too; it was so tiny last year and has expanded loads. The plants that are suffering are my hydrangeas; their beautiful colourful leaves have slightly burned. I moved the potted one into the shade to help it recover more.



I collected some glass bottles to put upside down in the flower beds. They slowly feed the flower beds water and help keep the roots moist, which also helps a little when it comes to watering plants. The persimmon tree I bought for just over £3 last year is growing its leaves and stems back beautifully. It looked like it needed a trim when I first got it, and I was scared I had killed it. I kept watering, and it came back to life again. Reddit has been my go-to for advice on gardening. I always found it so toxic before, until I concentrated on certain subreddits. I have learnt so much, from soil to issues that can be resolved, and the community on there are very polite and helpful. My most wholesome thing about my garden was picking my own flowers and putting them in vases; it always makes me happy to know that I did that.




Now we are heading towards the end of August and finally had some rain today; it's much needed, especially since the grass outside is dead all around us. Not only that but people cant grasp the fact that the heat is causing crops to die, animals have developed blue tongue, this is livestock but its quickly killing them and its deveasting to say the least, midges come out in the heat, bite them and they develop it and all farmers can do is try their best to hydrate and feed the animals even though they are in a lot of pain.


On a positive note, next month is my birthday. I have made some plans for it, and I'm hoping for some Lego, and as always I will probably end up with it. I will be making my own Victoria sponge cake; I haven't had one in so long, and they are so simple and delicious to bake. Speaking of bakes, not long ago I made a jam and coconut cake; you know the kind we used to get in primary school back in the 90s? I will add the recipe in a separate post for you all! Homemade cooking is something we try to make sure we do as often as we can in this house. At Christmas, we usually have a turkey crown but have never tried a turkey leg. I found one on offer a few weeks back and froze it; it started to take up too much freezer place and we decided to give roasting it a try. It turned out very succulent and delicious.


I love my little blog on here; it gives me a corner of the internet to natter away without judgement, and I can post when I choose to. I think my next post will probably be next month, once this heat has chilled out.


Sun beating down, no better feeling
°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・ʚɞ ⁺˖ ˖⁺ ʚɞ

Comments